Kicking, Screaming, and Dragging my Feet!

Back to the subject of me being a total techno dweeb. Can you believe I had to have advice on how to create links on my blog? How dumb is that? Okay, I 'll cut myself some slack. I did have a more difficult task in mind (which I did need help with), but links. Seriously? They make it so easy, too. All you have to do is go to the gadget list, click on list links, and voila! I'm still shaking my head over that one. No matter that I was looking at the completely wrong thing while trying to accomplish my task.

Anyway, the lady who helped me is a gem. She's my sister's best friend and has been in the business of writing and marketing and other assorted internet-related endeavors for years. She knows her stuff! We got to talking about the technical difficulties I was having and we just fell into the loveliest conversation I've had in a good, long time. Since I'm surrounded by three testonteroned-filled males day in and day out, having a good talk with a wonderful woman is pretty much key to balance in my life. So, thank you very much, Erin Ann.

One of the things that came up in our conversation is how I am "kicking and screaming and dragging my feet" on this whole internet thing. I guess it shows my age, but I'm just not used to the idea of letting it all hang out there. What can I say? I'm more private than that. A few years ago, I remember giving my sister crap about showing pics of her beautiful little girls on a website. Before Facebook. Now, no one would ever think NOT to do that. The only reason I joined Facebook was because a dear friend showed me how much fun she was having online with her family and friends--how it was such a great way for her to keep in touch with people she loved who lived out of state. Now Facebook is practically the only way I can get my family's attention. Whatever happened to cell phones?!

And this whole blog thing: Man, I am late to the party! I'm still struggling with it. I used to think that blogs were a complete waste of time. I would totally turn my nose up at them and naively think that the writers of them just had no life--that it was just a lame attempt to get attention. And I was too busy at the time raising little boys to care much any way. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! I can see now that this is how people are interacting with each other, communicating with each other, supporting each other, making each other smile and giving each other perspective on a variety of issues that just wouldn't be possible without the internet. And people are sharing some amazing things, things that would soon be lost without people on the internet posting and showing how it's done. Dying arts like canning, sewing, quilting, refurbishing, vegetable gardening. And that's just if you're into domestic stuff. There's so much out there and it's because people are sharing what they know, and I'm finally glad about it. Better late than never?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Be Running on the Beach--I Really Should!

Almost Hit the Mark

NaNoWriMo in November? Why???