A Hunger Games Type of Heroine?

You betcha!

And this coming from someone who's not read the book or seen the movie--yet! I really had no intention of having anything to do with either one of them. My youngest has read all three Hunger Games books and said that he really liked the first one because it was original, but fairly violent and slightly creepy. And he really didn't think much of the second and third books in the trilogy. "Way creepy, Mom. You wouldn't like them."

My husband, an avid and daily newspaper reader, usually finds extra copies of USA Today at work and brings them home. All I have to do is place them on the counter in the kitchen and when my boys sit down to fill-up their hallow legs, or ask what's for dinner, or complain about homework, or rhapsodize about video games, or horse around and try to kill each other, or to tell me for the billionth time that they're out of socks, they get distracted and magically start reading the newspaper. Funny how that works. I fell victim to my own strategy to get my family to read (a little more than they already do) and became riveted by a series of articles about Katniss Everdeen. Of course, I've seen the trailer for the film and have heard the buzz about the show, how it's good enough to fill-in the gap that Harry Potter and Twilight have left open, may even surpass them, but what really really piqued my interest is praise for the young actress who plays Katniss.

So, I started reading about Katniss and I was enthralled. In his/her review of the film, Manohla Dargis writes that Katniss is "brilliant, possibly a historic creation . . . armed with Diana's bow and a ferocious will, she is a new female warrior." As opposed to Bella Swan, and most female protagonists, who are constantly saved by their male suitors. "What invests in Katniss such exciting promise and keeps you rapt . . . is that she doesn't need saving. Most movies still insist most women go weak in the knees and whimper and weep waiting to be saved. Again and again, Katniss rescues herself with resourcefulness, guts, and true aim."

I've started writing a medieval romance. It's another one of those stories that's been swirling around in my mind for twenty years and just needs to be told or my head will explode! It's a wonderful story of two lovers on opposing sides of a great war, and of course, they fall in love at first sight (cannot reveal anymore than that at the moment). I know, I know, a love story in the midst of war? Doesn't sound very original, but their journey is unique, so I think it is wonderfully original or I wouldn't be writing it. Anyway, I've tinkered with the idea that the damsel-in-distress will be saved by the knight-in-shining armor at a certain juncture in the plot line. I've even figured out how to do that so it will be tense and unexpected, but now I think I've changed my mind. I think my leading lady will do some serious whoopin' and save herself. It's an even better plot twist and one that I hope will make my audience and leading man wonder what in the world is going on. This is just not normal.

I am completely invigorated by the idea that my new heroine can save herself and still fall deeply in love. She may not need a man to save her from anything, but she desperately wants him all to herself. Thank you Katniss. I can't wait to read about you.

Comments

  1. A couple of corrections: I read the review for the Hunger Games in the New York Times. And hopefully you didn't notice a couple of typos. Oops!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No More Halloweens to Go!

My Son Got Married, but I'm Still Editing!

I Thought It Had Been a Month . . . Um, It's Been Two