Another Super Mom--Highlighting Stephanie Worlton

Has it occurred to you that February is almost over??? 

Winter is almost done. Well, maybe not in Northern Utah, as we tend to get the late Winterish/Spring snow storms, but according to the calendar and mother nature, we are almost there. Yay!!! In honor of this special occasion, I'm highlighting another author, Stephanie Connelley Worlton. I've been looking over Stephanie's work and she is doing well. In fact, she has a new book coming out this week, All the Finer Things, so be sure and check it out. It occurs to me that most of the writers I know are women, AND they are mothers. If you think that trying to get a novel down on paper and take care of several children is easy, hmm. . . well then, we might have to have a little chat. Hey, my kids run the other way when I mention the word "chat." Just so you know, you can find reviews of books I've read on Goodreads.


1) What attracted you to write in the YA genre?

There were two things that drew me to write YA fiction - first, and though I'm a grown(ish) woman, I don't think I'll ever outgrowing reading YA. Sometimes adult books just get boring, but I can always count on YA to keep things interesting. The second thing that drew me toward YA was less of a choice and more of a command. I'm a strong believer that a story will let you know where it needs to be. If as an author we try to force it to fit into a genre that it is not, it will not work. Hope's Journey, though appealing to adults, is a story for the youth. The character of Sydney demanded to be a young lady. She couldn't be an adult, nor could any of the other characters that are so important to her story.

2) How do you develop your characters?

Most of my characters present themselves to me. I often joke that they are my "imaginary friends." I love to watch people and create my own stories about who they are and what their life looks like. When I start to write a project, these observations and whimsies seem to come into full play. Often my characters will be based loosely on people I know. I'm currently working on a project where the main character is based on my hilarious, quirky, adorable niece.

3) How do you find time to write? Do you work full-time? Are you a mommy full-time?

A typically writing day for me starts after the kids are at school and the house is in a some-what presentable state. As soon as my children start filtering in the door, I log off the computer and step right back into mom-mode. When I made the decision to pursue this crazy writing passion, I also made the commitment that I wouldn't let it get in the way of my family. I know there are many authors who dive in head first and make it a full-time job, but my philosophy has been that my kids are only young once and I don't want to miss out on that. I currently have 3 teenagers and another one edging close. I am absolutely loving this stage of their lives! 

4) How long does it usually take you to write a full-length book? What about the editing process?

I am not a quick writer. It'll take me a good year to write a novel and another year to feel good about my edits. I'm such a perfectionist that I have to get things right before I'll let my editor look at it. I know, it seems a little counterproductive to do all the work before my editor can, but it always feels nice when I hear the words, "This is clean. Good job."

5) Tell us about your books and what inspired you to write your stories down.

Hope's Journey is my first published work. Actually, it's my first work period. I never imagined that I'd be an author. My education is in design (Architecture) and, though I've always like to play with words, writing was never something I aspired to. Though I wrote my first short story while in elementary school, I consider myself a late-bloomer when it comes to being a real writer. Hope's Journey was the brain child of many quiet afternoons at home alone when my baby went off to Kindergarten. It was published in July of 2011 and with it came the discovery of a passion I never imagined existed! 

Hope's Journey is the story of high school sweethearts Alex and Sydney who, on the brink of graduation, discover that their lives are about to change drastically. Sydney is a straight A student with scholarships awaiting her across the country. Alex is a quiet jock planning to serve a 2 year mission for his church. All that changes when Sydney gets pregnant and all their hopes, plans, and dreams are turned upside down.  It's a story of heartbreak, faith, friendship... and love. A life changing mistake. A soul changing journey. 

All the Finer Things is the story of Megan, a girl who has everything: money, comfort, looks. Married to one of the most lucrative and sought after plastic surgeons in SoCal, Megan Hamilton has it all. Her posh life, designer clothes, and stunning penthouse leave her wanting for nothing… or do they? Controlled by his obsessive pursuit of perfection, Doctor Matthew Hamilton will stop nothing short of breaking his young, spirited bride into a subservient trophy wife. But when parenthood enters their picture, the entire game changes. With her back against a wall, Megan is forced to reconcile the true cost of her designer lifestyle.

To learn more, please visit my Web site: http://stephanieworlton.com/


Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/stephanie-connelley-worlton

For book reviews, author interviews, and general insight into my musings, stop by my Kreating Krazy blog: http://stephanieworlton.blogspot.com/



Comments

  1. Four kids and a writing career? I'm not sure how she does it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed with them all, too, Rachel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No More Halloweens to Go!

My Son Got Married, but I'm Still Editing!

I Thought It Had Been a Month . . . Um, It's Been Two