Writers Have Got to Get Out and Live!

That's right! 

We've got to get out in the world and live our lives, or we will have absolutely nothing to write about.

It's just my personal opinion, of course, but it's based on a recent epiphany. My family spends a week at Snowbird every year during the summer. Last year was a rainy year. Not great for outdoor activity, but we made the best of it. We hiked down Gad Valley through the most awesome fog and mist ever, and it was intermingled with rays of sunshine. It was like being in a fantasy novel, so strange, but idyllic all at once. Despite the fact that we got wet, it was so worth it to be in the middle of that natural phenomenon. The next day, a fog filled the canyon. You know like the one in the Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston that represents the Passover? I never thought fog did that, that it was just a Hollywood special effect. But wow, the fog swirled and crept and left droplets over everything. It was soooo cool! And, YES, that fog and mist is going into a scene in my new book, a sequel to the first, which is not yet published. Soon, though, very soon:) 

I'm experiencing a problem with my hip, so I'm not as mobile this year at Snowbird as I was last year. I'm sitting here in the condo while my family is taking a 10 mile hike today. I wish with all my heart I could be with them, but I also don't want to end up in the hospital for overusing a damaged muscle. So, I write. The wind has been howling up the canyon from the southwest this year. It's been so strong that it's screaming through the hallways, mostly because we keep the windows open to bring in the lovely fresh air. It's a bit much at the moment:) I think that will have to end up in a novel someday, too. If I believed in fantastical, scary beasts, I would've run. It was something to behold.

You see what mean? As writers, I think our stories and the scenes we create will have more resonance and be more meaningful if we are writing what we know and feel, what we've experienced. That doesn't mean imagination takes a back seat. It doesn't, but I think our experiences can add so much. And how can we do that if we aren't out there living and breathing and experiencing our lives?

I recently came upon an article about how a desperate soul tweeted J.K. Rowling. He felt despaired and didn't know if he felt it was worth it to go on living. Her tweets to him were so profound. They were all about  how much there is to experience in this world of ours, and how important it is to find what moves our souls. 


So, I guess it's not all about experiencing things in life to try and be a great writer, it's about living.

Just living. And doing it well.

Live well, everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Thought It Had Been a Month . . . Um, It's Been Two

I Should Be Running on the Beach--I Really Should!

Almost Hit the Mark